Allergen-specific immunotherapy with pollen allergoids in the treatment ofhay fever in children
- Authors: Gayduk IM 1, Makarova IV 1, Trusova OV 1, Breykin DV 1, Sukhorukova VG 1, Arakelyan RN 1, Korostovtsev DS 1, Gaiduk IM 1, Makarova IV 1, Trusova OV 1, Breykin DV 1, Sukhorukova VG 1, Arakelyan RN 1, Korostovtsev DS 1
- Issue: Vol 6, No 1 (2009)
- Pages: 45-50
- Section: Articles
- URL: https://rusalljournal.ru/raj/article/view/1037
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.36691/RJA1037
- Cite item
The aim of the study was to investigate effectiveness and safety of ASIT with pollen allergoids for hay fever treatment in children.
Methods. 71 patients 5 to 17 years old with diseases caused by tree pollen sensitization: allergic rhinoconjunctivitis in 36 patients, rhinitis combined with pollen asthma in 17, combined with atopic dermatitis in 1, and pollen asthma in 17, were included in the study. 2 courses of subcutaneous ASIT out of flowering season were conducted in every child using commercially available pollen allergoids. ASIT effectiveness was assessed using 4-point scale where 4 points represents complete disease remission, and 1 point represents lack of effectiveness. Local and systemic side effects were registered as parameters of ASIT safety.
Results. Total dose of allergen was 13 768 PNU after the 1st course of ASIT, and 12 700 PNU after the 2nd course. Effectiveness of the 1st course of ASIT was 4,0 points out of 4,0 and of the 2nd course - 4,0 points. Local side effects (infiltration larger than 25 mm, itching and oedema in injection site) in 19,7% patients and systemic side effects (allergic rhinitis exacerbation, urticaria) in 11,3% patients were stopped after allergoid dose adjustment. Conclusion. ASIT with pollen allergoids is effective for hay fever treatment in children. Children with bronchi
al asthma are at higher risk for adverse events and need individual dose adjustment.
About the authors
- Standards for practical allergen-specific immunotherapy. Allergy. 2006, v. 61, Suppl. 82, p. 1-20.
- WHO position paper. Allergen immunotherapy: therapeutic vaccines for allergic diseases. Allergy. 1998, v. 53, p. 1-42.
- Norman P.S., Winkenwerder W.L., Lichtenstein L.M. Trials of alum-precipitated pollen extracts in the treatment of hayfever. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 1972, v. 50, p. 31-44.
- Marsh D.G., Lichtenstein L.M., Campbell D.H. Studies on „Allergoids" prepared from naturally-occurring allergens. I. Assay of allergenicity and antigenicity of formalized rye Group I allergen. Immunol. 1970, v. 18, p. 705-720.
- Eng P.A., Reinhold M., Gnehm H.P.E. Long-term efficacy of preseasonal grass pollen immunotherapy in children. Allergy. 2002, v. 57, p. 306-312.
- Keskin O., Tuncer A., Adalioglu G. et al. The effects of grass pollen allergoid immunotherapy on clinical and immunological parameters in children with allergic rhinitis . Pediatric Allergy Immunol. 2006, v. 17, p. 396-407.
- Tari M.G., Mancino M., Ghezzi E. et al. Immunotherapy with an alum-adsorbed Parietaria-pollen allergoid: a 2-year, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Allergy. 1997, v. 52, p. 65-74.
- Ariano R., Kroon A.M., Augeri G. et al. Long-term treatment with allergoid immunotherapy with Parietaria. Clinical and immunological effects in a randomized, controlled trial. Allergy. 1999, v. 54, p. 313-319.
- Bussmann C., Maintz L., Hart J. et al. Clinical improvement and immunological changes in atopic dermatitis patients undergoing subcutaneous immunotherapy with a house dust mite allergoid: a pilot study. Clin. Exp. Allergy. 2007, v. 37. p. 1277-1285.
- Phanuphak P. , Kohler P.F. Onset of polyarteritis nodosa during allergic hyposensitization treatment. Amer. J. Med. 1980, v. 68, p. 479-485.
- Частная аллергология. Под ред. А.Д. Адо, «Медицина», 1976, 512 с.
- Lund L., Henmar H., Wurtzen P.A. et al. Comparison of allergenicity and immunogenicity of an intact allergen vaccine and commercially available allergoid products for birch pollen immunotherapy. Clin. Exp. Allergy. 2007, v. 37. p. 564-571.
- Шевелюк И.М. (Гайдук И.М.) Сравнительная оценка лечения поллиноза у детей аллергенами и аллергоидами. Аллергология. 2002, № 2, c. 50-51.